Fire Services Guideline

Fire Permits are Required by Law

Other than a campfire, burn barrels, and municipal-approved incinerators, any person lighting a fire for any purpose must have a valid fire permit. Permits may be obtained from the Municipal District Office, in person or by fax. Any fire permits for burning stubble or crop trash cover must be obtained from a Soil Conservation Officer as appointed by the Council of the Municipal District.

When are permits required?

Fire permits are required year-round, January 1st to December 31st inclusive. There are, however, provisions for a total ban on fires when required if the risk or danger of fires exists due to weather conditions. Any such bans will be announced in the news media.

Get a fire permit.

Adhere strictly to the conditions stated on your fire permit. You may be liable for fire suppression costs or penalties as provided by law for any damage that may occur while burning or for failing to comply with the conditions as stated on your fire permit.

A fire permit is valid only for the period for which it is issued.

Upon issuing a permit, a fire guardian may specify any special fire control condition, which, in his discretion, is important to safety.

The Municipal District Council, for the purpose of fire control, may suspend or cancel all permits or prohibit the lighting of fires in any part or all of The Municipal District of Willow Creek No. 26.

Upon suspension or cancellation of any permit, the permit holder must extinguish immediately any fire set according to his permit.

The general public may be notified of suspension or cancellation of fire permits through the press, radio, or television. Upon such notification, all fires lit under the authority of a permit or any fire under the control or jurisdiction of a permit holder must be extinguished immediately.

Regulations you need to follow:

In The Municipal District of Willow Creek No. 26, fire permits are required year-round, January 1st to December 31st inclusive. To obtain permits, contact the Municipal District Office. In case of stubble and crop cover burning, fire permits must be obtained from a Soil Conservation Officer as appointed by the Council of the Municipal District.

The fire must be set specific to the time and place indicated on the permit. The number of fires set at one time and minimum equipment needed may be specified on the permit.

A fire permit is a legal document, which conditionally authorizes a person to burn debris at a time period specified on the permit. By obtaining a fire permit, you have simply indicated your wish to burn. The responsibility for conducting a safe burn is yours.

Anyone who sets a fire under the authority of a permit must:

  • keep the permit at the fire;

  • produce and show the permit to an officer upon request;

  • keep the fire under control; and

  • extinguish the fire before expiration or upon cancellation of the permit, or obtain a renewal.

Fire Control

Before lighting any fire, a permit holder must take precautions to ensure that the fire is kept under control at all times.

Fires must not be lit when weather conditions are conducive to fire escaping or getting out of control.

No one may deposit, discard, or leave any burning material in a place where it may ignite and result in a fire.

Agricultural Land

No fire shall be lit for broadcast burning of grass or stubble without first obtaining a fire permit.

That proper fireguard around the fire area be established as may be specified in the fire permit.

Permits for stubble or debris burning on agricultural land must be obtained from the Agricultural Fieldman.

You can cut down on chances of having a fire get out of control if you double-check these easy precautions:


  • Be sure your fire guards are wide enough and clear so a fire cannot cross over. Be alert for spot fires started by sparks from your fire. Large fires can carry sparks over a considerable distance.

  • Have your tools ready at the fire site. Even for a small, single-pile, you should have a shovel and water.

  • If you have many brush piles, light only as much as you can keep under control. Check to see if any neighbors will be available in case you need extra help and equipment.

  • Don't start to burn under windy, gusty conditions.

  • When your burn is completed, speed up final extinguishing by dispersing any smoldering ash or accumulation of burned debris. Fires can remain dormant in large piles for long periods and usually surface when fire hazard conditions are extreme.

  • Persistent hot spots, left to burn out, must be well guarded. Continue to check completed burning projects to be sure no holdover fires are present.

A tight-fitting screen with a 13 mm mesh over your burning barrel will help prevent many needless fires!

Once a permit is obtained, call Foothills EMS prior to burning at 1-888-808-3722.



#273129 Secondary Highway 520
P.O. Box 550 
Claresholm, AB, Canada T0L 0T0 


Contact Us

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon

Telephone: (403) 625-3351

Toll Free: 1-888-337-3351

Fax: (403) 625-3886 

Hours: Mon - Fri 8:00am - 4:00pm