What is a Development Permit?

A Development Permit is a written approval from The Municipal District of Willow Creek No. 26 that ensures that what you are planning to do complies with the regulations of the Land Use Bylaw or shows that you have obtained a waiver of one of the requirements.

The municipality is divided into several land use districts as shown on the land use district map. Each district defines permitted or discretionary uses that can be considered under that particular land use district (also referred to as zoning).

Permitted uses are uses for which an applicant is entitled to a development permit if the proposed development conforms to all applicable provisions of the LUB, such as setback requirements.

Discretionary uses are uses that may be approved at the discretion of the Municipal District if the Municipal District deems the use to be appropriate for the site and is considered reasonably compatible with neighboring uses.

Development Permit Application Process

The development permit is separate and distinct from a Building Permit. Development Permits deal with a development's impact on surrounding properties and allows for the legal use of land/building in a particular manor. Building permits deal with the structural stability of buildings and the health and safety of the building's occupants. Building Permits are issued by agencies accredited under the Alberta Safety Codes Act which is administered by Alberta Municipal Affairs.