The primary function of the Planning & Development Service Department is to advise Council with respect to achieving orderly economical and beneficial development, use of land and patterns of human settlement, and to maintain and improve the quality of the physical environment in the Municipal District.
The Development Department also provides service in the following areas:
- Issuing development permits
- Land use zoning amendment
- Business licensing
- Land use bylaw enforcement
Subdivision applications are processed by Oldman River Services Commissions
Before purchasing property, developing or undertaking any works in the MD, it is important to check the following:
- Verify the Land Use District (land use designation/zoning) of the parcel with the MD to ensure your project conforms to MD regulations.
- Some subdivisions have additional restrictions and guidelines in the form of Restricted Covenants with further restrictions such as the size, design of buildings and the use of the lot. To determine if the lot is affected by a Restrictive Covenant it recommended that you obtain and research an up-to-date copy of the title from Alberta Land Titles or any Alberta Registries office.
- Consider having the property surveyed by an Alberta land surveyor to ensure the property plan and property lines are accurate. Fences do not necessarily reflect property lines.
- Inquire about Development Permit requirements for your project.
- Inquire about required Safety Code permits.
- Become aware of policies for existing and future land uses as established in the Municipal Development Plan.
Property owners intending to put in a new fence posts, plant a tree or build a retaining wall are reminded to call before you dig (1-800-242-3447) or visit Alberta One Call.
Landowners, realtors, prospective purchasers, appraisers and other interested parties can find property information regarding land use district (land use designation/zoning) in the Municipal District of Willow Creek No. 26 Land Use Bylaw.
Please contact the Planning and Development Department (403-625-3351) for specific inquiries regarding requirements for development on lands within the MD.
Land Use Planning
Within the MD, Planning and Development decisions are guided by a hierarchy of planning documents that have been adopted by Council.
Municipal Development Plan
The Municipal Development Plan (MDP) is the overarching planning document which identifies objectives and establishes policies for future land use within the MD. It contains the MD planning and subdivision policies.
Land Use Bylaw
The Land Use Bylaw divides the municipality in land use districts and establishes regulations and standards governing land use and development in each district. Within each district there are established permitted, discretionary and prohibited uses.
The Municipal District of Willow Creek No. 26 is not responsible for any errors, omissions, or charges that have not been entered into the information which follows, nor is the Municipal District responsible for any misinterpretation of the information contained herein. Consultation with the Municipal District is advisable, telephone (403) 625-3351 or fax (403) 625-3886.